Smoking Shavings are a quick and convenient way to produce delicious smoked foods using a stovetop, home smoker or gas or charcoal braai. Due to their size, they smolder for a shorter time to produce a delicious smoky flavor.
What Smoking Woods Should You Use?
Wood flavors are a personal choice of taste but here is a brief description of our favorites:
- Maple. Great for fruits and cheeses
- Oak gives a heavier smoke flavor and is great for red meat and game; this is probably the best wood for the best steak. A fantastic wood for smoking too as it gives a lovely colour and a deep smoky flavour.
- Cedar is the traditional wood for fish it is also fantastic for fruit and seafood. In the US cedar is used a lot to cook other food such as chicken, this is a matter of taste as cedar imparts a sweet, spicy flavour so not for all! Smoking in cedar is amazing. but again, very spicy. You either love it or hate it!
- Cherry has a subtle mild, fruity flavour and is excellent for poultry, fish, vegetables and fruit. Smoking in cherry gives a fantastic colour and a subtler, sweeter smoky flavour. This wood should be used when you want to compliment the flavour of your food and not overpower it.
- Walnut delivers a heavy smoke and is excellent for strong flavored red meat and game.
- Wild Olive is ideal for any poultry. Has a fruit smell to it which adds sweetness
Smoking your food will give it an extra depth of flavour and elevate the regular braai to a gourmet event.
My Butchers Block products are proudly South African, which means that only local and ethically sourced wood is used and that all of our products are made by locals too.
The Smoking Plank and Smoke Shavings is a great gift as it fits the bill of being on-trend and useful. It’s also perfect for those family braais.
Try this out https://mybutchersblock.co.za/spicy-tomato-roast-chicken-pieces/