Asian inspired duck using our Maple Board…
- 4 duck leg portions, skin scored
- 2 Tbsp 5 spice
- 1/5 cup orange juice and rind
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp Szechuan pepper
- 150g fresh nectarines, flesh
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/5 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/5 cup Asian sweet chilli sauce
- Soak maple plank in water overnight or for at least an hour.
- Rub the duck in 5 spice and salt. Combine remaining ingredients in a pot and bring to boil, simmer until thick sauce is formed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Render the fat of the duck slightly by placing the breast skin side down in the coolest part of the fire. Baste with sauce constantly.
- Place braai planks on an open flame for 1-2 minutes on the side you will be arranging and braaing your dish.
- Once fat has been rendered slightly, move to the maple plank and cover with a kettle braai lid and continue to braai until cooked through. Baste continuously.
- Rest breasts for 4-6 minutes before serving with remaining sauce.
Recipe developed by Cara Gardner